Diego Ferrari (Argentina 1965) is an artist and photographer. He studied at the Escola Llotja in Barcelona, completed a Fine Art BA at Goldsmith’s College University of London and was awarded an MA in Art & Architecture at the Kent Institute of Art & Design. He works in London and teaches on the master’s degree course on design and photography at the Escola Elisava in Barcelona and on the Metropolis Masters and Graduate Program in Architecture and Urban Culture. He also teaches “Photography, Art and Architecture” at Central Saint Martins College of Art and is currently a tutor for the BA in photography at Kingston University, London.
1993-94. MA in Art & Architecture, Kent Institute of Art & Design, University of Kent.
1987-91. BA in Fine Art, Goldsmiths College, University of London.
1981-86. Fine Art, Llotja, Barcelona.
Lecturer and course leader, Critical Images - Signs and Dialogues, May-June 2012. Metropolis -Masters Programme in Art and Urban Culture, Centre de Cultura Contemporania de Barcelona and Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya.
Tutor and Year 2 Course Leader, BA in Fine Art Photography, Kingston University, London.
Programmer and tutor on the short course “Photography, Art and Architecture”, Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, London.
Programmer and tutor for the course Signs and Dialogues MA in Design and Photography. Elisava Escola Superior de Disseny. University Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona.
Lecturer and tutor for the MA in Design for Public Space. Elisava Escola Superior de Disseny. University Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona.
Programmer and tutor on the photographic course Fundació Politecnica de Catalunya / UPC y Texas A&M University study abroad programme, Barcelona.
-External lecturer for the diploma Unit2 at the Architectural Association, School of Architects, London.
-Lecturer and tutor for study trips to London. “Ephemeral Installation Forum”. Barcelona Architecture Center - Fundacio Politecnica de Catalunya.
-Southwark College, lecture in visual studies.
-Lecture on Art and Architecture as part of Art Public Calaf programme.
-Faculty of Fine Art Barcelona, guest lecture on Interdisciplinary approach to Art & Architecture.
-Nottingham Trent University. Guest lecture on photography, Fine Art Department.
-Perugia Art Academy, guest lecture on photography.
-Birkbeck College, guest lecture on Interdisciplinary approach to Art & Architecture.
-Curatorial collaboration with Ramon Parramon for Stan Itinerant, Barcelona
-E.D.ET. Madariaga, Argentina. Lecture on Interdisciplinary approach to Art & Architecture.
- Advisor for Hamad Butt’s installation “Familiars” as part of the exhibition “Rites of Passage”, Tate Gallery London.
- Elisava Escola Superior de Disseny. University Pompeu Fabre, Barcelona. Lecture for the MA programme on Public Space.
- Kent Institute of Art & Design, Canterbury. Chair person on lecture in Cultural Studies.
- Advisor for Hamad Butt’s installation “Familiars” as part of Millch Gallery exhibition. London.
- Cavendish College. Lecture on “The split personality of light” installation work.
MA Visual Art programme Goldsmith’s College. Visiting studio tutorial.
RECENT EXHIBITIONS and PROJECTS
2012: Programmer, Department of Sociology, Goldsmiths College, and Tate Britain, for a series of public discussions and seminars on photography and the city as part of the Urban Encounters project at Goldsmiths, October 2012.
2012: Photographer and project manager, ‘We are Water’, project at Domus, as part of Clerkenwell Design Week, May 2012.
2012: Assessor, ASCA European Union research project into disability and diversity in the arts and culture in Europe, Madrid; Caceres, Spain, May 2012.
2011: Participation at the discussion forum on Photography as Public Practice, organise by Wide Angle and Wits School of Arts, Johannesburg South Africa.
Group exhibition - Wide Angle Photography as Public Practice, University of the Wits Johannesburg.
2010: Solo Exhibition, okk/raum29, Berlin, in collaboration with Urban Dialogues – as part of the exhibition a work shop it was deliver to 16 and 20 year all students from Soldiner Kiez.
‘Photography: Mapping the Civic Space’, organised by Art & Architecture, - discussion and illustrated talk at the Photographers Gallery.
Group exhibition, East End Promise 1985/2000 A Story of Cultural Migrants, Curator Paul Sakoilsky.
-Artist-led workshop as part of Signs of the City programme, Berlin, in collaboration with urban dialogues and House of World Cultures, with the support of the Culture Programme of the European Union and the Capital Cultural Fund of the Federal Republic of Germany.
-Museum Giuda, Amsterdam. Group exhibition, ‘Nederland 1’. Curator Tiong Ang,
-Solo Exhibition organised by Architecture review in collaboration with the Union of Romanian Architects, Bucharest.
-Artist-in-residence in China, Arts Council England's International Fellowship Programme in partner ship with Gasworks/Triangle Arts Trust.
-Photographic artwork commissioned by Miguel Roldán and Berengue Architects, Building: “Barcelona Activa".
- Photographers' Gallery artist-in-residence, in collaboration with Creative Partnerships London East.
-Photographic artwork commission by Enric Miralles and Benedetta Tagliabue Architects Associates for the Scottish Parliament Building, Edinburgh, and Mercado Santa Caterina, Barcelona.
- Mark Jason Gallery: Focus: group show, London.
-Whitechapel Art Gallery. Artist in residency as part of Creative Connections programme.
-InIVA (Institute of International Visual Art). Commissioned artist's project as part of Soft project, curator Melanie Keen.
-Artist-in-residence at Herbert Smith international law firm at the Exchange House, programmed by the Whitechapel art gallery and funded by Art & Business.
-Photographic artwork commissioned by The Whitechapel Art Gallery as part of the centenary exhibition.
-Solo exhibition, Fundació Espais d'Art Contemporani, Girona, Spain.
-Solo exhibition, Holton Lee, Dorset.
-Royal Society of Architect award for Art and Architecture to work in collaboration with Tony Fretton Architects on The Faith House at Holton Lee, Dorset.
-Solo exhibition, Hungarian month of photography 2000, Studio Gallery, Budapest. Funded by The British Council.
-Whitechapel Gallery, foyer exhibition as part of Corali Dance Company, "Live in your head".
-Solo exhibition "Space at the centre", Henry Peacock Gallery, London.
-Group exhibition, Public Art Calf, 1999 – 2000. Istituto de Cultura la Capella, Barcelona.
- “The Articultural Show”, Royal Festival Hall, London. Organized by Gavin Turk.
- “Bankside Browser” A Tate Modern art project. Curator Andrew Renton and Kity Scott.
- “In Full Colour” exhibition at Tom Blau Gallery, London.
-Multimedia Exhibition, “International Art Public Calaf 1999” Barcelona.
- “Barcelona 2004 The Future of the City” Photographic work as part of Ramon Parramon installation “Visions Periferiques”.
- “The Kindness of Strangers”, W139 Gallery, Amsterdam. Curator Jeremy Akerman.
-“Architecture, Experience and Thought” Exhibition at the Architectural Association as part of Tony Fretton Architects.
- Photographic work in collaboration with Corali Dance Company, performance “In Full Colour”. Commissioned by the Tate Modern as part of the programme Performing Buildings and funded by the London Arts Board.
- “Dimension Leap”, Media – Exhibition, Trafo Gallery Budapest. Funded by the British Council.
- “Close to Home”, photographic exhibition organised by Gasworks and presented in Budapest. Funded by the London Arts Board.
- Photographic exhibition, Ziegler Art Space, Groningen, Netherlands.
-Architecture Foundation, Solo exhibition Public Views 2 “On Air & Interval”. London.
-International Kunstcentrum de Single, “In search of public space” as part of Tony Fretton team “The Architecture of the Public Space”. Antwerp, Belgium.
-Curtain Road Arts, Photographic exhibition, “Space at the Centre”. London
-W&P Gallery, “The Conimex Cinema”. Group exhibition, Curator Tiong Ang. Amsterdam.
- Group Exhibition, “Having it”. Old Spitalfields Market, London
-Interdisciplinary MA in Art & Architecture. “Blind” Installation. London.
-Group Exhibition, “Stand Itinerant”. Centre D’art Santa Monica, Barcelona.
-Solo exhibition. Flat 12 Holborn, installation “The Split Personality of Light”
-Solo exhibition. Installation “Light Station”, Coronet St, London.
-Solo exhibition. Transformador Hall, installation “La Metamorfosis”. Funded by the Generalitat de Catalunya Departamet de Cultura. Barcelona.
-Town Hall, Vilanova I la Geltru, Catalunya. Installation “Sculturas Nocturnas”.
-Group exhibition, Art College of Lerida, Catalunya.
- Feature on my current photographic work, Design and Architecture, a Singapore-based bimonthly magazine featuring works of architecture and interior design from Asia and the West.
-Signs of the city – Metropolis Speaking, Publisher JOVIS Verlag GMBH.
-CQD: Ciudades que danzan - Danza en paisajes urbanos, Barcelona.
-A History of Herbert Smith by Tom Phillips, Published by International Financial Law Review.
- Two Minds: Artist and Architects in Collaboration. Edited by Jes Fernie. Black dog Publishing.
- Architecture review, Union of Architects of Romania.
- RSA, Journal, August 2003, in collaboration with Tony Fretton Architect on the design of the Faith House in Holton Lee, Dorset.
- "Used City 1", Quaderns, the Barcelona School of Architects. Project in collaboration with critic Nikos Papastergiadis and the editors - "Mizien".
- Review in Architecture Today, no. 131. Project in collaboration with Tony Fretton Architects, Holton Lee, Dorset.
- Recent Architecture of Barcelona, Ellipsis Publishers, London.
- Book on innovative London offices, in collaboration with graphic design The Farm and the London Design Council.
- Catalogue "Space at the Centre" as part of a solo exhibition at the Espais gallery, Girona.
- Postwest magazine. Essay on my installation and photographic work by Nikos Papastergiadis “On Museums, Galleries and there walls”. University of Western Studies, Sydney Australia.
-Transversal magazine on Contemporary Culture, Essay on “Calaf Art Public”
-Catalogue, “In Search of Public Space – Four Architects from London”. International Kunstcentrum de Singel, Antwerp Belgium.
Architects Journal, review of my photographic work “Between Art and Architecture”
-“Dialogues in the Diaspora”, essay on my work by Nikos Papastergiades. Rivers Oram Press, London.
-Het Parool Newspaper, review exhibition “The Conimex Cinema”, Holland.
-Catalogue exhibition “Having it”, London.
-Art & Design, Profile 37, New Art from Latin America. Essay on my work by Nikos Papastergiades, “Metaphor the Energy for Beginning”.
-Expo Art Guadalajara, essay on my work by Jean Fisher, “Art Criticism & the margins of Art”.